Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Day, is taking place on Tuesday 13th February this year. Pancake Day is an annual tradition that allows Christians to feast and repent any sins the day before Lent (Ash Wednesday - where people fast for 40 days leading up to Easter).
Pancakes are the traditional food of Shrove Tuesday as Christians would give up tasty foods/ingredients such as butter, eggs, fat, and sugar. So why not combine these tasty ingredients and create a pancake feast.
An incredible 52 million eggs are used on Pancake Day, this is 22 million more than the average day!
Pancakes are so flexible, you can opt for sweet or savoury fillings, and you can even make them vegan, lowering the carbon footprint.
Introducing veganism into your diet can also have health benefits like lowering your blood pressure and cholesterol. By simply removing the eggs and adding plant-based milk, you can make a stack of delicious vegan pancake to feast on, here are some suggestions:
- Easy vegan pancakes recipe | BBC Good Food
- Fluffy Vegan Banana Pancakes - Nora Cooks
- Cinnamon Roll Pancakes - Tasty
- Vegan blueberry pancakes - delicious. magazine
- Savoury vegan pancakes recipe | BBC Good Food
- Vegan Savory Pancakes with Cheddar & Green Onion - Vegan Huggs
- Savoury Pancakes with Spinach Batter and Tomatoes - Vegan Recipe Club
- Savoury Veggie Pancakes - Vegan Savoury Pancakes (veganlovlie.com)