Walk this May
17 April 2018
By Hayley Carmichael
We’re re-running the Step Up Challenge in May as part of wellbeing@work festival
Walking for wellbeing
Going for a walk is the easiest and cheapest way to work some exercise into your day.
As part of our wellbeing@work festival at SCFT, we are re-launching the Step Up Challenge to encourage everyone to walk a little more each day. You and your team can sign up at any point in May.
What’s the challenge?
The challenge is easy – just pick one of three virtual routes to walk:
- Southdown’s Way
- Land’s End to John O Groats
- The entire UK Coast
You can walk alone, or as part of a team and once you’ve registered you have 12 weeks to complete your walk.
Every day add up your steps/miles walked and see how quickly they accumulate to cover the distance of your chosen route.
To register email firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be sent a challenge toolkit to help you on your way.
You could even use this as the perfect excuse to take part in the #NHS1000miles campaign, to help us celebrate the NHS’s 70th birthday.
Why we love a walk
- You can save £££’s on petrol, parking or public transport costs by getting there on foot instead.
- The feel good factor of some fresh air and movement is hard to beat, set those endorphins free!
- The air you breathe will be cleaner for one less car on the roads. And your carbon footprint will shrink with every step you take instead of driving.
- Walking helps you stay fitter and healthier, combatting diseases such as diabetes and heart disease.
- Everyone is doing it, so you’ll meet people ; it could be the new social club.