Active 10 – Take 10 and feel the difference
01 May 2018
By Hayley Carmichael
Sheila Doughty a Physiotherapy Professional Lead for SCFT took Public Health England’s Active 10 challenge and downloaded the app to track her progress, she shares with us how she found it…
What is Active 10 all about?
Active 10 was launched by Public Health England in 2017, it is an easy app to help you build up good habits for daily fitness.
You may have seen it used more recently by Dr Michael Mosley on the TV show The truth about getting fit.
Did you know that:
- A brisk 10 minute walk every day can make a difference to your health. Each 10 minute burst of exercise is known as an “Active 10”.
- Brisk walking is simply walking faster than usual, at a pace that gets your heart pumping. Start with a 10 minute brisk walk a day and then see if you can gradually build up to more.
- It’s the easy way to improve your health and wellbeing. No gym memberships, no Lycra. Just 10 minutes and you!
- A regular 10 minute brisk walk can make you feel better in so many ways. It can boost your energy, clear your head and lift your mood.
- It can help people with lower back pain and those at risk of high blood pressure.
- It’s also seriously good for your long-term health – it can reduce your risk of serious illnesses like heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Read more on the Active 10 website.
It fits into daily life with ease
Sheila has been using the app for almost a year, here is her feedback on how helpful it has been…
“I downloaded it from the Android App store in summer 2017 and have been using it ever since. It is easy to use as it sits in your pocket and records your walking without you having to set it each day. You can decide how many Active 10’s you want to do in a day and set your goals.
Start with one and build up to 3. I found that by making small changes to my day I could easily hit the 3. The app tracks them for you and shows you weekly how you are doing.”
Inspired to create long term change
“During May I am planning to aim to achieve 3 x Active 10’s a day. I will do a weekly update via Twitter and Facebook and it would be great if others joined in the conversations on there.
Twitter – @SheilaDoughty
Facebook – SCFTAHPs
If you want to join me, download the app and get walking!
Let’s use the hashtag #active10SCFTchallenge”
Here’s a video to inspire you!