In 2014, Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust (SCFT) developed Care Without Carbon (CWC), with the aim of ensuring that we can continue to deliver high quality patient care in the context of climate change.
Since then we've started partnering with NHS organisations locally and further afield, with CWC now leading the way in the delivery of sustainable healthcare across the south-east.
Working together in this way has enabled us to develop a team of sustainable healthcare specialists - from experts in energy and carbon to staff engagement and circular economy.
Working together as NHS organisations, we can:
- Share learning and specialist expertise – and avoid duplication
- Deliver joint projects that bring impact and efficiencies of scale
- Use our influence to effect greater change
- Show strength and leadership in the sector by setting joint commitments - and delivering on them
- Communicate as one voice on sustainability to our patient community
Through partnership working, we're able to drive the sustainability agenda more effectively across the health and care system. Together to Zero.
Siobhan Melia, Chief Executive
Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust